Some days back, I was sharing with someone about what prayer means to me, and how much I believe in it. I enjoyed myself because the gist was so natural, as though we were talking about boys lol.
There was no light, so she turned in the lamp and said she wanted to see my face as I was talking about it. As I continued, she said, “this is the first time I’m hearing someone talk about prayer like it’s a sweet drug, like you’re addicted to it, like you’re high on it. I wish I had your kind of faith.”
I’ll tell you the truth, I love praying, but as much as I do, right now, at this stage in my life, I can’t pray for more than an hour by my self. I could do two (hours) or a little over two if I’m with someone else. I know, there’ll be a time when I’ll pray for longer hours by myself. It’s one of the reasons why I love corporate prayer (praying with fellow believers) it keeps me going.
I always say that I was never like this. One hour before seemed to be like 5hours, but as I’m growing in understanding, I’m learning more about how prayer isn’t just talking to some abstract being. It’s about talking to God. It’s about fighting.
I won’t say much, I’ll just show you different scriptures that make us see how amazing and necessary prayer is.
1. The Lord is far from the wicked [and distances Himself from them], But He hears the prayer of the [consistently] righteous [that is, those with spiritual integrity and moral courage].
PROVERBS 15:29 AMP
2. Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 MSG
3. I’ve thrown myself headlong into your arms— I’m celebrating your rescue. I’m singing at the top of my lungs, I’m so full of answered prayers.
Psalm 13:5-6 MSG
4. “Don’t be afraid, Daniel,” he said to me, “for from the first day that you purposed to understand and to humble yourself before your God, your prayers were heard. I have come because of your prayers.
Daniel 10:12 HCSB
5. Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.
Philippians 4:6-7 MSG
6. When life is heavy and hard to take, go off by yourself. Enter the silence. Bow in prayer. Don’t ask questions: Wait for hope to appear. Don’t run from trouble. Take it full-face. The “worst” is never the worst.
Lamentations 3:28-30 MSG
7. If any of you lacks wisdom [to guide him through a decision or circumstance], he is to ask of [our benevolent] God, who gives to everyone generously and without rebuke or blame, and it will be given to him. But he must ask [for wisdom] in faith, without doubting [God’s willingness to help], for the one who doubts is like a billowing surge of the sea that is blown about and tossed by the wind.
JAMES 1:5-6 AMP
Cheers to more time with God.